Saturday, July 26, 2014

Day 17: Vegan festival and Dirndlen, galore!

As promised, here are the last few pictures from Prague and Vienna!














My joy at discovering the top from a Kinder egg.








Don't you want to go to this party? Or throw an identical one in the States?
So after blogging until 3 AM yesterday, I understandably woke up a little late. We went to the city center area to find food and found an enormous vegan festival instead! It was amazing. They had all sorts of literature, samples, and vegan swag to give out. There was vegan ice cream and vegan doner kebabs and grilled cheese and super hard core vegan bands playing. It was awesome.

Vegan MANIA! There are many of us. We may be frail and malnourished but we are many. Just kidding, vegans really take care of their nutrition.

This guy raps in a cage from the perspective of suffering animals. In English. Why hasn't anyone else ever thought of this? I didn't catch his name but he was pretty good.

 After checking out the festival, we went to the train station to go to Dachau but the train was delayed. Considering it would take at least another thirty minutes or so to actually get into the town and the memorial area closed at 5, we decided to go tomorrow and spend the day in Munich, itself. We went back to the festival, looked around at some of the historic buildings, and I tried on a couple of Dirndles. Of course I ended up buying one because they're adorable and a must-have for Oktoberfest.

Unfortunately, we didn't notice any more people singing Hotel California, but there were at least twelve bachelor/bachelorette parties going on. All the members were in varying degrees of intoxication and undress, which is directly proportional I think. It's some kind of ritual people do because there were quite a lot. The bachelor/ette always seemed to have a wagon filled with random stuff and one member of the party was invariably filming everything with a sour look on his/her face. It was pretty entertaining to watch.
A pretty building in the city center

This is a cello trio doing an all-musical arrangement of "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica. Yes, this is Germany. Jealous?
 Finally, we went back to the hotel because it started to rain and we were both still tired from yesterday. We booked a hotel in Amsterdam for the last night in Europe, which is in three days. I can't believe how quickly the time flew by! Soon, I'll have to re-join the real world and stop being misunderstood by well-meaning foreigners trying to sell me things. As much as I miss being a normal person with responsibilities and my own bed, this kind of travel is invigorating and fun. At least I have a few more days of adventure left.

The plan for tomorrow: check out, grab breakfast, and go to Dachau. After that, hop on the train to Cologne and meet with our last hosts, a couple consisting of a German man and a Mexican woman. Casey has been emailing them and says they seem nice. Hopefully, they have wifi but the hotel in Amsterdam does so there'll be at least one more post from me before I come back.

Tschuss,
Maria

PS: You didn't think I'd leave you without a picture of me in my ridiculous German outfit, did you? For shame! Enjoy the cheesiness below with the full knowledge that you'll be seeing it in person come September and October.

No comments:

Post a Comment